You will find here important european and international texts about molluscs commercial exchange and diseases control.
European Union legislation
You can access here to the main text of the european legislation dealing with diseases of molluscs. Many other texts are all available on EUR-LEX website. You can refer to the Aquaculture page of the Maritime Affairs website and the DG Health and Consumers website of the European Commission for more texts related to the aquaculture legislation in Europe.
The Council Directive 2006/88/EC
The Council Directive 2006/88/EC on "Animal health requirements for aquaculture animals and products thereof, and on the prevention and control of certain diseases in aquatic animals" has been published on the 24th of October 2006. The annex IV, part II gives the list of exotic and non exotic diseases to be immediately notified to the national competent authority:
Susceptible host species
Infection with Bonamia ostreae
Australian mud oyster ( Ostrea angasi), Chilean flat oyster ( O. chilensis), Olympia flat oyster ( Ostrea conchaphila), Asiatic oyster ( O. denselammelosa), European flat oyster ( Ostrea edulis) and Argentinian oyster ( O. puelchana).
Infection with Marteilia refringens
Australian mud oyster ( Ostrea angasi), Chilean flat oyster ( O. chilensis), European flat oyster ( Ostrea edulis), Argentinian oyster ( O. puelchana), blue mussel ( Mytilus edulis) and Mediterranean mussel ( M. galloprovincialis)
Susceptible host species
Infection with Bonamia exitiosa
Australian mud oyster ( Ostrea angasi) and Chilean flat oyster ( O. chilensis).
Infection with Perkinsus marinus
Pacific oyster ( Crassostrea gigas) and Eastern oyster ( C. virginica).
Infection with Mikrocytos mackini
Pacific oyster ( Crassostrea gigas), Eastern oyster ( C. virginica), Olympia flat oyster ( Ostrea conchaphila) and European flat oyster ( O. edulis).
- EUR-Lex provides direct free access to European Union law: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/en/index.htm
FVO (Food and Veterinary Office)
- Home page: http://ec.europa.eu/food/fvo/index_en.cfm
EU DG Fisheries and Maritime Affairs
EU DG Health and Consumer Protection
OIE (World Organisation for Animal Health )
- Home page: http://www.oie.int/eng/en_index.htm
- Aquatic Commission: http://www.oie.int/en/international-standard-setting/specialists-commissions-groups/aquatic-animal-commission-reports/aquatic-commission/
- International Aquatic Animal Health Code (2009): http://www.oie.int/eng/normes/fcode/en_sommaire.htm
- Manual of Diagnostic Tests for Aquatic Animals (2009): http://www.oie.int/eng/normes/fmanual/A_summry.htm
FAO (Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations)
- Home page: http://www.fao.org/
- Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries 1995: ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/005/v9878e/V9878E00.pdf
ICES (International Commission for Exploration of the Sea)
- Home page: http://www.ices.dk/indexfla.asp
- Code of practice on the introductions and transfers of marine organisms 2004: http://www.ices.dk/reports/general/2004/ICESCOP2004.pdf
- Convention on Biological Diversity 1992: http://www.biodiv.org/doc/legal/cbd-en.pdf
- Home page: http://www.wto.org/
- Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures, 1995: http://www.wto.org/english/docs_e/legal_e/15-sps.pdf
- Home page: http://www.iso.org/iso/home.htm